Infrastructure

Infrastructure

Port city mayor taped meeting with Knights Templar

Christian Science Monitor - A mayor from Mexico's busiest port was arrested after a video showed him meeting with the Knights Templar cartel. Self-defense groups rose up against drug gangs they say government did little to stop.

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Americas/2014/0430/Mexico-s-anti-cartel-vigilantes-vindicated-after-tape-shows-mayor-linked-to-crime-boss

Telecom watchdog sets minimum for TV bidding

Reuters - Mexico's telecom watchdog  set a minimum bid price of 830 million pesos ($63.37 million) for two new free-to-air channels which are up for grabs as part of an effort to increase competition in the television and phone sectors.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/04/16/mexico-telecomunications-idUSL2N0N805S20140416

Lat Am's largest solar plant goes on line in Baja Sur

EFE - Latin America's largest solar power plant, a facility with 39 MW of generating capacity, has gone online in the state of Baja California Sur. The Aura Solar I photovoltaic power plant will supply electricity to La Paz.

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/news/2014/03/27/latin-america-largest-solar-power-plant-goes-online-in-mexico/

Mexico is laying tracks for infrastructure investment

Emerging Markets - Investors in Mexican infrastructure projects have faced some uncomfortable unknowns. The new federal laws aim to attract foreign investment and give investors and contractors a more certain – and more familiar – environment.

http://www.emergingmarkets.org/Article/3323832/MEXICO-INFRASTRUCTURE-Laying-tracks-for-investors.html

Dispute erupts over rail concessions bill

Financial Times - As Mexico’s antitrust bill arrives in Congress, a dispute has erupted over a rail bil that would alter the terms of the two main railway concessions.  The lower house has passed the legislation, which deals with concessions held by subsidiaries of Grupo México and Kansas City Southern. The bill is now before the Senate.

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/87cde87a-ae86-11e3-8e41-00144feab7de.html?siteedition=intl#axzz2wPu9S1N0

Subway snafu irritating commuters sinks ICA shares

Bloomberg - A service halt on a new $2 billion subway line built in partnership with billionaire Carlos Slim is making Empresas ICA Mexico's worst performing stock.  ICA shares slumped 15 percent last week as more than half the stations on the capital’s Golden Line were closed after twisted rails and damaged ties were endangering passengers.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-03-18/subway-snafu-irking-commuters-sinks-ica-shares-corporate-mexico.html

Group deflects blame for Metro structural damage

 

Latin American Herald Tribune - The consortium that built the Mexico City Metro’s Line 12, currently out of service to allow for repairs of structural defects, said Wednesday the rails complied with safety standards and blamed the system operator for using the wrong kind of trains.

http://www.laht.com/article.asp?ArticleId=1756471&CategoryId=14091

Mexico City-Queretero high-speed rail route selected

Railway Gazette - The Secretariat of Transport & Communications has published the environmental impact statement for the proposed high speed line between Mexico City and Querétaro and publishes environmental impact statement.

http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/single-view/view/route-selected-for-mexico-city-queretaro-high-speed-line.html

Chinese, U.S. firms eye Mexico as rail reforms loom

Reuters - U.S. and Chinese rail companies have expressed interest in the Mexican rail freight market if a bill that seeks to open up the sector to more companies is approved, the head of the lower house of Congress' transport commission said on Tuesday.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/02/26/mexico-reforms-rail-idUSL1N0LV...

ICA to sell 70% stake in its prison business

Reuters - Mexican construction company ICA said it had reached a deal to sell a majority stake in its prison business to a subsidiary of privately held Hunt Companies for 1.5 billion pesos ($113 million). ICA will sell 70 percent of two 22-year prison service contracts but retain the other 30 percent.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/01/23/ica-prison-stake-idUSL2N0KX06X20140123

Syndicate content